Terri's Cellar Door

Stuff that happens to me, Terri.

Thursday, April 05, 2007

There's No Accounting for Taste

Wow, it's certainly been a long time since I posted here. I guess I'm slacking off a little bit, but I've been known to do that. Sometimes. I've been doing a multitude of things, mostly just trying to do my work in a timely fashion, and as that's not working out, I figured I'd shirk my responsibilities for one more day and try to explain my taste in music one more time. This comes after I realized that while I'm not a big fan of Fall Out Boy's older work, I absolutely love half of their new album. The first half. That got me thinking. I also love Jay-Z, and some of his older stuff, but some of his earliest work, and his new album, I don't have a taste for at all. Have these people really changed their sound so much, or is it me? And then you go to the other side of the spectrum, and I will buy anything that the Dixie Chicks have ever done, if it's bluegrassy, or contemporary rocky. That being said if you tried to classify the type of music that I like, even the genre, or the decade, or the artist, if you didn't pick from a group of three or four, I wouldn't be able to say that I loved absolutely everything that they've ever done. My friend's don't understand why I like the songs that I like on FOB's new album, when I don't even enjoy what they claim as the best song on the album. Another friend of mine sent me the music that sounded just like the theme song to Firefly. If I haven't mentioned it before, I absolutely love the theme to Firefly. It's like the best thing ever. I listen to it over and over again and bemuse the loss of my favorite shepherd and leaf on the wind. The songs that she sent me from this other group sound almost exactly like the theme, yet, for some reason, I just couldn't get into it. So, having all of these examples, among others, I have come to one conclusion: My taste is like the Loch Ness Monster, Big Foot, and the Abominable Snowman eating lunch at Stonehenge after taking a tour on a UFO; inexplicable. There is no rhyme of reason to what music I'll like. One minute I'm listening to Robert Johnson, next to Avalon, then to Jay-Z, and then finally Robin Thicke. There is nothing normal about the range in which my taste in music exists. And even more bogglingly is the fact that two songs might exist in the same genre of music, they may be by the same artist, and even on the same album, AND I WILL NOT LIKE BOTH OF THOSE SONGS! Insane, I'm sure, but it's just me. So, if you find some group that sounds like the Dixie Chicks, has the same sound, and even have the same band, if I don't like it, don't be surprised.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket