Terri's Cellar Door

Stuff that happens to me, Terri.

Friday, February 04, 2005

Elevator Go Down the Hole...

I have a hard and fast rule about elevators. Now I'm a lazy person, but I don't mind walking up a flight of stairs, but I figure that if it's more than one flight I can ride on an elevator and not seem lazy. Which is, for me, an ongoing struggle. Anyway, so that means that I usually try to finagle a way to have to go two or more floors, so I won't have to drag my lazy butt up even one flight of stairs. I would like to add as a side note here, it is really not because I am overweight. I know plenty of overweight people who do lots of flights (though they won't stay overweight long) and plenty of skinny people who take the elevator at the drop of a hat. It's about laziness people! So, anyway, you know when you get to the elevator and there's that button you push? I've noticed that no matter if there is another person standing there or not, the next person who comes along just feels obligated to push the button again. And let's not even talk about if the elevator takes more than four seconds to get to your floor. I know that I'm not the only one who sits there pushing the button like I've got a severe case of OCD and not a lot of time. So, today, I decided to try a little experiment. I was walking a lot around campus because a group I'm in was fundraising, and I decided that I would only push the button once, and see if I could avoid the temptation to do it again. You may think that this is silly, but you should give it a try sometimes. I wonder if this is what Tourret's feels like. So, I walk up to an elevator and push the button. As the seconds stretch on thoughts are tumbling through my mind; "What if somebody else pushed the button at the same time, and now the elevator doesn't know which way to go?" and various other nonsense. Ignoring all the while the light is on the button that I just pushed. It really is a test of paitence. Your mind is screaming, push it again! push it again! While your finger just wants to inch closer and closer, until... And of course, I'm the type of person that assigns a personality to everything. An elevator isn't just an elevator. It's a thing with feelings and emotions. It doesn't like it's buttons pushed too hard, or for you to yell at it. Yeah, maybe I have a problem, but you know, things like this don't just work themselves out overnight. So, at the end of my experiment I discovered that about half the time, my willpower will fail and the other half I can do with only pushing the button once. Now, not yelling at the thing, that's a whole different ball game altogether.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

How funny! I didn't think about it until I read this post, but I'm sure I would not be able to resist pushing the elevator button at least more than once. Same thing with the Walk button on streetlights. I just must. Because it's there.:)

5:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket