Terri's Cellar Door

Stuff that happens to me, Terri.

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

The Geekiness of Me

So, I've never hid from my geeky mentality. Seriously, I've always claimed it in a matter of fact kind of way. Not stressing it, but not denying it either. But you could have knocked me over with a feather after a conversation that I had with a friend of mine the other night. The sheer geekiness of the whole thing blew my mind. So, I'll take you through the conversation step by step and rate the geekiness of the whole thing, on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being Johnny Depp kind of cool, and 10 being strap on the suspenders and pocket protector, I think I'm going to vomit!

Part One-- Xena
Geek-O-Meter: 5
We talked about Xena, at length, through various stages of emotions. We both (mostly me) railed on the state of Xena in the final seasons and lamented the creativity and amazingness that was the show. I ranted at her, she ranted at me, and we ranted at each other and the whole thing started all over again. Two words: Ice-cave-for-25-years. Well, I guess that was more than two words, but let's not lose focus here as we work our way to...

Part Two-- Old Martial Arts Movies
Geek-O-Meter: 2
I told my friend that I loved old martial arts movies, and I didn't think that she did too. So, she admonished me for not knowing about her secret love for all things martial and arty. Then, I told her about my favorite parts to all my old martial arts movies. And she was mighty impressed, though still slightly sting that I had labeled her so wrongly. We got really hot and bothered just talking about Jet Li kicking somebody in the throat and then using about 12 swords to descimate an army. So, we're flying pretty high when we hit...

Part Three-- The Matrix Trilogy
Geek-O-Meter: 11
This is where the discussion hits the brakes and skids off the cliff that is ULTIMATE GEEKINESS (ness, ness, ness, ness...). The Matrix by itself isn't geeky, but our argument was. My friend and I got in a heated (almost angry) discussion about whether or not the last two movies in the trilogy deserved a viewing. This stems from the fact that I refuse to watch the Matrix: Revolutions. I would like to point out that just because I have never seen Revolutions, I know exactly what happens in that movie, and have simply chosen not to see it. I don't mind if you see it. I don't mind if you like it. But I just refuse to have any part of it. My reasoning is this: If the Wachowski's had just ended the whole thing with the original Matrix, I could have slept at night knowing that somehow, someway, Neo would save humanity and everything would have worked out okay. I have come to the conclusion that the rest of everything that came after the Matrix (the original) was not about the story anymore. Read more about that hypothesis here. My friend, on the other hand, is convinced that by not watching that movie, I am completely denying myself the awe inspiring beauty and art that is contained therein.

See what I mean? What kind of geeky, nerdy, dorky, nerds sit on the phone and have conversations like this? But I just never saw it coming.

P.S. -- I'd just like to say thanks to Mrs. S for sticking by me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket