Terri's Cellar Door

Stuff that happens to me, Terri.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Separation of Church

There is something about religion that just put two people on seperate paths. A person who you think is just wonderful in every way, changes when you learn they don't believe the same things you do. Ideals are so basic, beliefs so simple. I believe in Jesus, in God, and the crucifixion. Very few specific things other than that. I mean, Baptist or Methodist, I feel like it's just about the same thing, dogma aside. When you get to Catholic, among others I start to get a little antsy. Standing from a distance, differences are fine, but up close and personal, things get a little iffy. It's odd to become close and work hand and hand with someone who, according to your beliefs, is going to spend eternity in a terrible place. You perceptions change. And it doesn't hit you how important those little things are until your faced with someone different from yourself. You look at a person, and expect one thing, and when you get another, you're thrown for a loop. I mean, don't get me wrong, I've had plenty of experiences with people of different religions, and I'm by no means an isolationist, but there is something about finding out a person isn't what you thought'd they be that's a little unnerving. We come into a relationship with all kinds of prejudices. We expect people to act a certain way, speak a certain way, and believe in certain things. When that changes, we're sometimes thrown for a loop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket