Terri's Cellar Door

Stuff that happens to me, Terri.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Personal Moment

You know when something happens that so profound it makes you reevaluate absolutely everything? Okay, well, maybe not. But, I have this weird fascination with death. Not like a goth-y, emo-y, paint-my-fingernails black kind of way. I do serious mental gymnastics about the whole situation. I think to myself, why waste time pondering the existence of man when I'm old? I could just as well worry about it now. It's not a matter of what's the afterlife going to be like. Because, what's the point of that? I believe in Jesus and Heaven and all that good stuff. But sometimes I ponder things like, what truly makes a person immortal. And every person, when they're young, thinks they're going to live forever. They don't think about death and what lies beyond. And it's not just because of my birthday that I'm thinking like this. I've always considered the brevity of life and what that entails. A tree in the forest can live for hundreds of years, but no matter how strong, or smart, or rich we are, we can never outlive that tree. We can never outlive the sky, or the ocean, or the sun or the moon. They've seen things that we can never see, and they'll see things that we'll never see. And for all of our technology, we are just blips on the comic scale. We find solace in religion or what have you, but no matter what happens to our soul, our bodies will find rest in the cold, dark ground, where they will exist forever. I guess, this is a little morbid, and I don't mean to be that way, but death is around us so often, in so manby different ways, and it's like we don't notice it until it stares us in the face.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket