Terri's Cellar Door

Stuff that happens to me, Terri.

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Music is my Boyfriend


For some reason, I've been up really early this week, mostly because I have work to do that I need to finish, and I haven't yet. Anyway, I don't really watch music videos but every morning (I know it's only Tuesday) I've been watching VH1 with their videos in the morning. In fact, I've found about five different artists that I'm totally in love with. Maybe more in fact. VH1 has a good selection of different music, I saw the new Duran Duran song, and realized I'm going to have to buy that album. I found out that Matchbox 20 is still together, and performing, which was a total shock to me. I saw Bon Jovi's new song, to which I said pass. If I see Daughtry one more time, I'm going to find him and punch him in the nose. I didn't even know why he was, but apparently he's from North Carolina or something. Not caring, particularly. Anyway, this led me to a big realization. It's he great thing about the Internet. I saw the artists on VH1 and then found a bunch of their songs on MySpace. That way I could find out if it was just a fluke, or they seriously made good music. I found out that all of the artists that I have found make seriously good music, and I find myself humming their tunes throughout the day. In fact, they've rekindled my songwriting self, and I started writing a song overnight. I've got a couple of changes to make, but I'm making moves in the right direction. Apparently, the singer/songwriter is back, which I always like, and since my band is on an indefinite hiatus, I'm free to make my own kind of music. So, anyway, here are the new artists that I like, and my favorite songs from them, all you can find on MySpace, or own their own personal websites (I hope). I've decided that I'm not going to illegally receive their songs, since most of them are just kinda indie acts, that are still playing people's parties and stuff. Anyway, you can listen to their songs online, legally, but I would suggest buying their albums. that's what I'm going to do in most of these cases. Anyway, here's the list:

-OneRepublic -- Apologize (which I actually heard about from my friend Ingrid, but I didn't think it sounded good until I saw the video)
I'm beginning to like piano rock, like the Fray (though not a big fan of them, yet), and this song is just right. Of course, having Timbaland on the track doesn't hurt either.

-Ingrid Michaelson -- Die Alone
What you think is going to be the standard dark fare, is actually pretty light and very melodic. I've totally fallen in love with Ingrid's voice, and her Lisa Loeb brand glasses.

-Sara Bareilles -- Bottle It Up
Well, Sara has a cute, poppy sound, but this song has a definite underlying of soul and some old school R&B. I love it, and I totally love her voice too. She can put stank on it if she wants to, but let's the natural light shine through, which is nice. I have no idea how to pronounce her name, tho.

-Chrisette Michele -- Best of Me
It's like Billie Holliday is back and, you know, in another black woman. Seriously, her voice is crazy cool, and she even speaks that way, if you can believe it. The song is touching and beautiful, and I would suggest you listen.

-Mickey Avalon -- So Rich So Pretty
I pretty much like all his songs, so it was hard to pick one. With the body of a punk rocker, and the voice of a west coast rapper, Mickey is pretty confusing. But just listen to one of his tracks to get where he's coming from. It's good stuff. NSFW, but FA(wesome).

-Colbie Caillat
Aside from having the weirdest spelling of two familiar names that I've ever heard, she's got a wonderful voice. I don't know what's going on, but there are a bunch of white girls with black singing voices. It's bananas, it's like a pandemic. Except, you know, not devastating to people and economies. She's okay, I mean, as far as her song goes, I feel like it's wasted on her voice, like her voice pwns the song, and it's not worthy, but we'll keep an eye out.

There were some more, but I can't remember them right now. I'd also encourage you to check out Good Day Hayden. They're a local group, but their sound is out of sight, and they're lyrics are totally boss. My fave song of theirs is My Everything, and as soon as they get their lives together, and release that album I've been dying for, we'll be in business. Anyway, so check these groups/people out. They're just the new people I like. I'm still crazy for Alicia Keys, Mary J., and plenty of others whose videos I've been watching over the past two mornings. Also, these websites are just from myspace. I would suggest going to their official websites to read blogs, check out music, and find the store.

*Side note: My MP3 player broke, which sucks, and I'm without music for how ever long it takes me to save up for another one. Pray for me, audiophiles, pray for me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Marlewen said...

I'mma have to check for some of these people on Napster. :3

7:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm...so I read this, then read the whole page of other posts that I hadn't seen, then my fingers got click happy and I was pressing the comment button before I even got to reread what the post was about. But, um...sometimes I do feel like the hardest button to button. And that new White Stripes video where Jack saves the bull and what not, was awesomely awesome cuz he saves the bull, but then the bull totally runs him over and what not. So...sometimes.
But yay for helping out indie bands, and, you know,I've been trying to write some stuff too, but I just have no inspiration, at ALL.
Anyway, I'm going to go back to hacking up my lungs at 1 am.
I'm actually thinking of starting a music blog. Not that, you know, anyone will read it, but just to give me something to do. Eh.


Harls.

12:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket