Terri's Cellar Door

Stuff that happens to me, Terri.

Monday, February 18, 2008

Finally Settling Down

I've noticed a rather disturbing trend in all my contemporaries: A lot of them are getting married. I feel like I'm rather young (24), but now I'm starting to feel like an old maid, and I don't think I should be. Now, don't get me wrong, marriage is a fine institution, and if the right fella came and asked me, I'd definitely go along with it, in 10 or 15 years. But now, for the reason I've cited above, I feel like that would be waiting for too long. However, on one hand, I feel like maybe I should be looking for someone to spend the rest of my life with, I dunno if I want the rest of my life to start when I'm 25, that would totally suck. There's still stuff I want to do and see, and not have to feel like I have to get a real job and buy a house, and get a dog or something. Though, I would like to get a dog sometime soon. Or a pig. Or a ferret. Anyway, yeah. I haven't really found anybody that I'd want to spend the rest of my life with. Most guys that I know are fun to hang around, but if I had to spend every waking moment with them I'd want to slit my wrists. I've never been in love either, and I had a conversation with a couple of friends of mine. I said that relationships when you're younger really don't matter that much, and being in constant contact with your significant other is pointless. They told me that the feelings that they have now are just as intense as they'll ever be, and it's important to have that other person in their lives. I really think that the relationships we have early in life are meaningful, but because the person we are when we're twenty isn't the same person we are when we're 40, it's not going to matter one way or another. I seriously hope I'm not the same person I am now in twenty years. I don't want to get married now because the person that I marry now won't be the same person in twenty years. And what if the person I am hates the person he is? That will totally suck, and since I don't believe in divorce, I'll be in a totally loveless marriage where I hate the person I'm married to. So, as a nonbeliever in marriages before you're at least 30, I hope I'm not setting myself for defeat. And if I meet that person who I think I want to spend the rest of my life with tomorrow? Well, I hope they're willing to wait.

2 Comments:

Blogger Henning said...

Getting married is the first step to divorce.
I've said that I'm never going to get married, and boy did that oppset the missus. I mean, we are exlusive to each other, aint humping anybody else but eachother, we love eachother, and none of us are religious. So why get married?
Then she brings up the 'every girls dream' thing, and I say its stupid. Then we agree to stop talking about it so that we still love eachother.

People dont have to get married to live and love eachother? Right?

3:23 PM  
Blogger Under Thy Tongue said...

No, no, yeah. Sometimes divorce=awesome. Just like I wish my parents had gotten a divorce? 'Member? Yeah.
Didn't we just recently, a month later, talk about this? I feel like we did. Marriage is almost as bad as having kids. You can't do what you want when you're married, and you definitely can't do what you want when you have kids.
So, that is why I am never getting married, because, yeah, people change. So if I'm still with a person several years later and we're not married, that means that I really love them and are in it to win it, yeah? Yeah.
Also, I feel like there should be a "what I"m listening to while commenting" section, because then I would write "Snowball snoring".

3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket