Terri's Cellar Door

Stuff that happens to me, Terri.

Monday, October 11, 2004

Baka Gaijin!

If you didn't already know, I don't know why you'd know because I don't believe I've ever mentioned it, I'm into Anime. For those of you who don't know what it is, it's Japanese Animation. I hate to liken it to these things, but it's like Pokemon and Dragon Ball Z. Ugh. I feel like I need to take a bath. Everytime I mention anime I get one of four responses: 1) Anime, what's that? 2) You mean like Pokemon? 3)There are lots of naked people in that. 4) You like anime, too? I'm not alone! There are variations of the four, of course, but that's basically it. I hate saying that anime is like Pokemon or Dragonball Z, because that's like saying reality TV is like 'My Big, Fat, Obnoxious Fiancee'. Not that reality TV is to far off, but that's a whole different subject. It's like saying that all cars are like DeLoreans. There are tons of different cars that tons of people like. And not any two models are exactly the same. Anime is like the cartoon is here. You have action cartoons (Justice League, Teen Titans), kids, playytime cartoons (Dora the Explorer) adult cartoons (the Simpsons, Family Guy) and everything in between. There are even 'adult' adult cartoons, like Striperella and some things you can find hidden on the Internet in different places. Just like in American cartoons, there are different levels of Anime. I like all kinds of anime ( though, I'm wary of most of the hentai) (Yaoi is the best!!!), and I have been liking it ever since my older brother brought the full, length major motion picture, 'Fist of the North Star' into our house. It was a 5th generation copy, badly dubbed, and it looked as though someone had sneezed on the film before sending it off, but I was hooked. For a while I stood on the edge of the Anime sea, running forward as the waves receded into the ocean and racing back as they crashed on the shore. Then, about my senior year in high school, I was introduced to a group of people who would change my life, and all of my ideas about Anime. This groups of friends were obsessesd with it (what you would call otaku) (and please I don't want to hear the stuff about otaku literally meaning house, geez! Chill out!) and I was proud to join their ranks. Then Animazement happened and I haven't turned back since. Anime is really great, I have a new respect for the Japanese culture and I'm even picking up a few words here and there. Nothing special, but I'm enjoying it. Anime can be a beautiful and entertaining artform, so if you don't know anything about it, I'm begging you, Check it Out! You don't know what you're missing.

1 Comments:

Blogger England said...

What a coincidence? I just mentioned something about anime in my last entry. Actually it was about Japanese culture as a whole. What made you want to type feverously about anime. I can see the passion through the fabricated text of your entry.

E
p.s.-signing things as "E" makes me cool and sly.

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket