Terri's Cellar Door

Stuff that happens to me, Terri.

Monday, August 22, 2005

Business Before Pleasure OR "I Like All Kinds of Music, But...."

So, right now I'm listening to the Sumosonic radio on the heavy.com website. It's great stuff. They have a seriously spectacular music selection. There is rock, pop, rap, R&B, soul, ska, electronica and everything else under the sun. I love it because of the different types of music, and how 99.9% of the songs absolutely rock. Not rock like rock out, but rock like, they're awesome. It had me thinking of a pet peeve of mine: I hate it when people say this: "I love all types of music, but..." Now fill in the blank with country, or pop, or rap, or whatever. Hello, people! There is no but. You either like all kinds of music or you don't. I hate when people try to be cool or quasi-intellectual by hating (or liking) the new "it" band or trend. It's sickening. If you don't like country, and will gouge out your eyeballs and the eyeballs of anyone within 100 feet of you, before you'll listen to the first verse of ANY Kenny Chesney song, then you don't love "all" kinds of music, and I wish you would stop saying that you do. It is not endearing. It does not make people think you're special. Seriously, stop it. I literally know about a handful of people who are willing to listen to all music and all of them are musicians. I truly think that musicians (not to say that no one else can) can recognize how truly hard it is to do something and respect the people that do it. It's easy to say that the new Britney Spears song sucks, but I would love to see you go into the studio and write, produce, and sing, a better one. That rhymes. I mean, geez, give the woman a break! Personally, I will listen to anything, but only if it's a good song. If it's by the White Stripes, or the Dixie Chicks, or Weezer, or Dean Martin. It is darn hard to make good music and I have much respect for people who can pull it off. Also, don't just hate something because it's in fashion, or because "the man" says you're not supposed to listen to it. If you are a straight, white male, jam out to Destiny's Child's 'Bootyliciouis'. If you're a black female, love Lynard Skynard. And if you truly love music, don't be afraid to venture out of your comfort zone and try something new. You might learn something about the music and yourself in the process.

2 Comments:

Blogger Marlewen said...

I will listen to any kind of music. I, however, do not claim to like all of it ^^; But I will listen to it, at least once.

11:33 PM  
Blogger England said...

Wow...Terri? You had a moment there. Someone must've really pissed you off. Nonetheless, I totally agree with you. I just had someone say that they love all types of music...BUT Country! I think they said it because I'm black, and they didn't expect me to like country music. I realize that I'm fanatical about bluegrass (way more than country). Anywho, the girl ended up naming more country acts then she could count... Oh, and another thing I hate...I hate when people say that a band sucks. You may not like that particular artist; that doesn't mean that they are not good at what they do. Destiny's Child is an example. They are really good artist, but I'm not a huge fan (unless I'm shakin' my ass in da club). Good Charlotte, another example. They play their instruments well, but I'm not a fan. There's a difference.

E

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket