Terri's Cellar Door

Stuff that happens to me, Terri.

Monday, November 21, 2005

Wow.... OR A Thin Line Between Entertainment and War

Wow, it's been a long time. And no, I'm not going to make the Timbaland joke. That is just so past me. Um... wow, this is actually kind of awkward. What is going on in your life? Seeing anybody new? Whew, not that that line of questioning is out of the way let me get to the real reason behind this post. Have you ever finally liked something, but it was years since anybody was truly interested. Like you walk up to somebody and you're like, 'Man, Independence Day. Amazing." And everybody looks at you like you've been in a box since 1994. Well that happened to me. I'm sure that you've all heard about the band Rage Against the Machine. Well, just recently (like two or three days ago) I got into thier music. What happened was I was playing GTA: San Andreas. I had just run over a hooker and blown up the head of a cop when I heard this really rockin' song on the radio. FOr those of you that don't play GTA when you 'jack cars from people and you'r driving around you have choices of different radion stations you can listen to. They're just like real radio stations, there are rock, rap, raggae, and talk, and they have real commercials and dejays and everything. My fave commercial has a unforgettable jingle for a theme park (Gloryhole, where strangers become friends). Apparently it's a themepark called Gloryhole that has rides that deal with such. Anyway, back to the point, so I'm listening and this song comes on. And all I hear over and over again is "Fu*# you, I won't do what you tell me!". And this guy is screaming it over and over again. It has a really great guitar riff, so I want to find who did it. (Oh and btw, the game San Andreas is set in the year 1992) And it's Rage Against the Machine. Now, it's not like I hadn't heard of ratm before, in fact, I knew one of thier songs by heart, but this was the only exposure I had ever gotten from a non Matrix song. So, I went and downloaded a couple (25) of their songs, and visited a couple fansites. But here's the thing: They frickin' rock. I mean, I love all of their licks, but I don't always agree with every single bit of the politics(though I agree with most of it), but they're great. So imagine my chagrin when I go (247 years after the fact) and try to bring up a conversation about Rage Against the Machine. I might as well be talking about the dinosaurs or how that steam engine rocks. People are going to throw me a couple of dirty looks. And of course they're broken up now, so they're won't be more new albums for me to buy, and the fans are going to start slacking off. So, once again I have been screwed by fate, and made a fool of by lady luck. Oh well. If you'll excuse me, I just heard about something called the cotton gin. Sounds interesting, so I think I'll check it out.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey hun! the same thing happened to me. I just got into jay z and now he doesn't even tour anymore. i did see him at the live 8 concert, but that was before i started listening to his own work and not the remixes with linkin park.

i got your reply from livejournal, lol, i do talk about drinking a little too much huh? I do it responsibly though! and exams and school always come first...i actually don't drink that much...trust me ;p (next time we meet up i'll buy you a drink)

5:16 PM  
Blogger England said...

I don't understand? You've known us for...7 or 8 years now. Ingrid has owned this rusty R.A.T.M shirt for years and YOU ARE JUST GETTING INTO THE MUSIC? Shame, Terri Day...SHAME! We let you borrow a few of their albums about a year or so ago...SHAME.

12:20 PM  
Blogger Terri D. said...

Yeah, I know, and that's what makes it so heartbreaking. I just didn't know how much I liked them until now.

4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket